1) No they don’t.
2) No they don’t.
3) Yes they can.
4) No, they reduce SIDS by 50%.
5) No they don’t.
6) No they fucking don’t.
7) No they don’t except for fleetingly rare anaphylaxis.
8) No they don’t.
9) No they don’t.
Vaccines cause adults. pic.twitter.com/pcAeClyuYW
— Doc Bastard (@DocBastard) June 19, 2018
A few days ago, I posted a picture of a bunch of MERS viruses–more specifically known as Middle East Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus (MERS-CoV)–attacking a monkey cell. Here’s a similar picture from the current Science News of MERS viruses attacking a cluster of camel cells. To my untrained eyes, it looks like a much lighter infection.
When I posted the previous picture, I mentioned that South Korea had closed schools and canceled public events to stop the outbreak there from becoming a pandemic. At that time, 30 people were known to be infected including one who had travelled to China. 1,369 people were under quarantine in South Korea.
As of July 27, there have been 186 known infections between South Korea and China, and 36 patients have died.
This is another viral disease, like ebola and AIDS and flu and colds. Like the other viral diseases, it does not respond to antibiotics. There is no known cure for it and no vaccine to prevent it. It apparently travels through the air on tiny droplets of spittle when somebody coughs or sneezes, the same way flu and cold viruses do.
All that currently can be done for patients is to treat the symptoms and hope their immune systems eventually defeat the infections. It works in about 60% to 70% of patients. The other 30% to 40% die.
In May of this year, two healthcare workers arrived in the United States from different cities in Saudi Arabia. Both had travelled through England. Within days after arrival in the US, they were both sick with MERS, apparently having been infected in Saudi Arabia. Both were hospitalized and treated and released a few days later. No other cases of MERS have been found in the United States….yet.
The good news now is that a protein has been found in the blood of a recovered patient that seems to latch onto the virus and prevent it from infecting cells. In mice, it has dramatically reduced infection in as little as three days. It will take time, but this protein may become the basis for a vaccine to prevent the disease or a treatment for people who get it. Maybe both.
But the pharmaceutical industry works slowly, as it must. Development and testing take a long time. Such a vaccine or drug will not become available in time to help with this current outbreak.
A free 2-page information sheet about MERS is available from the Center for Disease Control and Prevention here.
Only vaccines wiped out smallpox, the terrible disease that previously killed so many millions of people every year.
Only vaccines have more recently wiped out polio — that horrible, crippling, maiming, killing disease from my own childhood that put thousands of Americans in “iron lungs” because they couldn’t even breathe — from the United States and most of the rest of the world. (Only fear of the vaccinations has permitted polio to still exist in about half-a-dozen third-world countries. And, of course, fear of the vaccines permits the disease to spread back into the rest of the world from time to time. So, for now, we still have to vaccinate against a disease that should have been extinct for more than a decade.)
Some other diseases — like flu, for example — we’ll probably never be able to eradicate. But annual flu vaccines can prevent most of the 26,000 flu-related deaths that occur in the United States alone every year.
I know I’ve said it before, but it’s important. Get your vaccines.
Who Should Get Vaccinated This Season?
Everyone 6 months of age and older should get a flu vaccine every season. This recommendation has been in place since February 24, 2010 when CDC’s Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP) voted for “universal” flu vaccination in the United States to expand protection against the flu to more people.
Vaccination to prevent influenza is particularly important for people who are at high risk of serious complications from influenza.
If you are eligible to get a flu shot, get it. Some people can’t, for medical reasons. Don’t spread the flu to them.
(Sorry. I couldn’t embed this PBS program. Just click the link and follow instructions for the best scientific answers to your questions about vaccination.)